This course is not running in 2019
Clinical Ethics - the Basics
Introduction to ethical theories, principles and frameworks, and examination of the complex interplay between personal and professional values in everyday clinical practice and the concept of moral distress.
Introduction to moral deliberation approaches and strategies for analysing ethically challenging cases, with opportunities to apply these skills to issues/cases commonly encountered in end of life care.
Discussion and reflection on the ethics of communication in contexts commonly encountered in end of life care such as withdrawing and withholding life sustaining treatment.
Incorporating Ethics into your Daily Practice
Discussion of how to incorporate ethics into one’s daily work and decision making. The important topic of voluntary assisted dying will also be examined.
- All short course attendees will be provided with a certificate of attendance, identifying the number of CPD hours for the course
- Note: Programs will only run if a minimum number of participants is achieved. Priority for place is given to award students
- Spaces are strictly limited.
The Centre for Palliative Care (CPC) has a state-wide role in palliative care education, with a focus on ensuring education is multidisciplinary and delivered by experts in their field who may be drawn from multiple institutions around Victoria as appropriate. The goals for CPC in regard to palliative care education are to:
- Increase general understanding and skill in palliative care through education and training of the general health workforce
- Develop future leaders in palliative care through programs designed to increase the number of palliative care specialists, and through facilitating opportunities for networking, peer support and leadership development.
Who should apply
The programs are relevant for doctors (including general practitioners), nurses, and allied health professionals who work in a range of care settings including paediatric care, aged care, acute care, community care, palliative care and cancer care.
Academic and teaching team
Dr Danielle Ko
Palliative Medicine Specialist and Clinical Ethics Lead Austin Health
Ms Karen Quinn
Coordinator Education, Centre for Palliative Care & Program Coordinator for Victorian Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner Collaborative
This course is presented in partnership with the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences and the School of Health Sciences.