The University of Melbourne offers one of the broadest ranges of specialty nursing courses in Australia.
Whatever your chosen specialty, you will gain the skills and knowledge to advance your nursing practice and ensure you can provide the highest level of patient care.
Developed in close consultation with leading industry partners, our courses are tailored to the needs of practicing registered nurses. Whether you want to gain accredited Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points or undertake a qualification and work towards a specialisation, our flexible options allow you to easily fit study around your existing workload.
As a student of the University of Melbourne, you will receive support from our leading academics and clinicians as you take your career to the next level.
Our specialisations are for practising registered nurses. If you are looking to start your career in nursing (entry to practice) or study an advanced nursing practice course, see the MDHS website.
Better understand your role within the oncology workforce and ensure you can provide the best level of care across all stages of the cancer journey.
Critical and Emergency Care
Develop the specialist skillset and breadth of knowledge needed to work in high-pressure emergency and critical care settings.
Mental Health Care
Advance your current mental health nursing practice and develop your capacity to deliver holistic care and complex mental health interventions.
Neonatal and Paediatric Care
Develop the specialist skills and technical knowledge needed to care for newborns, infants and children across a range of clinical settings, including intensive care units and special care nurseries.
Gain the highly specific clinical skills needed to work with blood and blood products in our industry-backed courses.
Acute and Complex Care
Gain the clinical skills to manage complex chronic conditions and critical situations. Choose to specialise in cardiorespiratory or renal nursing.
Build upon your therapeutic communication skills and gain essential, highly practical insights into palliative and end-of-life care.
Clinical Education, Research and Leadership
Our clinical suite is designed for medical and health professionals from any discipline. Join a network of passionate clinicians and develop career-building skills in clinical education, research or leadership.
Meet our nursing graduates
Resilience, patience, dedication: nurses have a lot of common qualities, but all have individual stories to tell. Get to know some of our nursing graduates by reading their narratives below.
Chantelle - Oncology Paediatric Nurse
Oncology paediatric nurse Chantelle is inspired by the resilience of the children she works with. Also a nursing educator, she takes pride in guiding the next generation of nurses in her hospital.
Shayne - Cancer Care Nurse
Working in cancer care can be emotionally tough but also involve a lot of joy and workplace camaraderie, says oncology nurse Shayne. While studying, he found putting theory into practice was a vital way to prepare for workplace challenges and a career that involves lifelong learning.
Inês - ICU Nurse
Working in critical care nursing, Ines builds strong relationships with her patients and their families. She says a genuine care for others is vital for nurses – as is a proactive approach to learning.
Other courses you may be interested in
The University also offers a broad range of other courses and subjects with highly relevant skills for nurses. You can further your knowledge of best practice rehabilitation principles and practices, enhance your clinical teaching and education ability, learn how to use art and performance to drive children’s health and wellbeing, or learn how to advise and guide clients on the most appropriate health and community services available.
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Ageing
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Ageing
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Blood Management Foundations
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Cancer Sciences
- MasterMaster of Cancer Sciences
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Clinical Leadership
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Clinical Teaching
- Short courseContemporary Approaches to Bereavement
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Creativity and Health
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Critical Care Nursing
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Critical Care Nursing
- Short courseCultural Respect Encompassing Simulation Training (CREST)
- Short courseEthics in Clinical Practice
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Implementation Science
- DiplomaGraduate Diploma in Mental Health Nursing Practice
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Nursing Practice
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Cancer and Palliative Care)
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Emergency)
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Neonatal Intensive Care)
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Paediatric Intensive Care)
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Paediatrics)
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Nursing Practice (Rural Critical Care)
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Nursing Practice
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Palliative Care
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Palliative Care
- Short courseAdult Palliative Care
- Short courseFundamentals of Palliative Care
- Short courseFundamentals of Palliative Care (Hume)
- Short coursePaediatric Palliative Care
- Short coursePsychosocial Aspects of Palliative Care
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Rehabilitation Science
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Service Navigation
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Cancer Nursing
- CertificateSpecialist Certificate in Cancer Sciences
- CertificateGraduate Certificate in Transfusion Practice
Get in touch
For further enquiries please contact us.